Thursday, May 27, 2004

iTunes has an interesting idea with its celebrity playlists. Unfortunatly, as this Slate article says, celebrities have really boring tastes in music.

...iTunes celebrity playlists call forth visions of Matchbox 20's Rob Thomas nervously offering you a mix tape. A mix tape that sucks.

I am sure my mix tapes suck as well, as the majority of them were made to listen to on my bus ride home in middle school, or my car rides to and from school in high school. My current playlist (developed in college, thanks to Napster when it was free), has a bit more diversity--because I wasn't limited to the tapes I had, or the music I could get decent copies of off the local oldies station--but would probably suck to anyone but me.

Maybe that is the point of mix tapes--unless you are making them for some one else--that they will show off your own tastes, that will probably been seen as horrid to anyone else. (I included Bert and I peices on some of mine. I liked them, but I am sure anyone else who listened to it found it hopelessly lame. Dry Maine humor is definately an aquired taste and one that takes a long time to aquire, unless you were born in Eastern Maine Medical.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home