Wednesday, September 01, 2004

An article in Slate about Schwarzenegger's speach last night at the RNC. I watched part of it. I can't sit very long and watch the RNC before I get mad at the spin they are putting on Bush's presidency.

I have trouble listening to people talk about the GOP as the "party of Lincoln." I know it is true in name, but I can't believe Lincoln would agree with the policies of President Bush. As stated in the article I linked above:

The GOP under Bush is nothing like what it was under Lincoln or even Roosevelt. The notion of wartime deficit tax cuts would have made Lincoln ill.

This reminds me of another Slate article that focused on how often Bush's supporters compare the time we are in to WWII. I hate these sort of comparisons. Jason and I have discussed this issue. Comparing some one to Hitler does little more than reduce the strength of the evil that Hitler truly represents. Comparing today's uncertain times to one of the most violent times in history does little to honor history. I am surprised the American Legion hasn't made a comment about this--or the Lincoln estate.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home