Monday, October 04, 2004

I have been poking around the internet this morning for some information on Pyongyang after reading Wally's post about the insanity of North Korea. A year or so ago there was a piece on 60 Minutes that showed some shots of Pyongyang. There were two things that stuck with me from that:

1. Pyongyang has traffic cops that direct non-existent traffic with an elaborate sequence of movements.

2. There is a really cool looking hotel in Pyongyang. Unfortunately, it can't be used because of a complete lack of structural integrity.

As while searching I found this site which has a bunch of photos of the metro in Pyongyang. I guess they are having trouble finding the money to keep it running as

Station lights are dim or switched off altogether, and many sources report that trains in tunnels are often caught by power cuts, forcing passengers to wait in the darkness, sometimes for hours.

And I am sure the passengers can't complain. And I bet they don't get their fare refunded. So much for the glory of the working men uniting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home