Monday, November 29, 2004

I have a problem.

When I have my headphones on at work (noise canceling, by maxell), I often don't hear my phone ring.

It would be great if I could port the sound of my phone into my computer so I heard it when it rang.

I did a cursorary search on Google and found that software exists that will allow your computer to answer your phone and be your answering machine. That is in the right line, but not quite what I am looking for, as I already have voice-mail on my work number.

Any ideas? Remember, they can't be too hardcore (ie taking apart my computer, phone, etc.) as everything I am dealing with is not owned by me.

2 Comments:

Blogger May said...

Cell phone or desk phone? Because they have lights that attach to phones for the deaf, or you could probably design one. And of course, cell phones can vibrate, which makes work all the more fun : )

Thanks for stopping by...and the reassurance. Life is flying by isn't it?

7:36 PM  
Blogger Amanda said...

It is a desk phone. (I don't believe in cell phones.) It already has a small LED that lights up when it is ringing. I don't see it, and knowing the way I concentrate on reading blogs (and material relivent to my work, of course), I wouldn't see a big flashing light either.

I'd like something to make a small beep in my headphones when the phone rings--like the sound I get when a new e-mail comes in. But again, the phone isn't mine, so doing something invasive would be a no-no.

I was thinking of putting a mic right next to the ringer speaker--turning the input down low enough so I don't lose the effectiveness of my noise canceling headphones. So, the program for my comp. that I need would just feed the input from the mic into the output. Any ideas?

9:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home