Wednesday, January 19, 2005

It is an article about JFK, so I have to post it.

Additionally, Jason and I were discussing this very issue this weekend after watching a summary of about 6 inaugurations on CSPAN. This article gives a good treatment, and I agree that JFK stood at a good time to make a great speech:

The reason that presidents have such trouble recreating the "idealism" of that 1961 address is because the inimitable idealism wasn't really Kennedy's. It was ours.

The world was changing quickly, and a young, handsome, well-spoken man stood confidently at the helm. It is easy to be idealistic when you have confidence in your leader, and your leader has confidence in his actions.

Yeah, I know. I am part of the north-east libereal elite. At least I didn't go to an ivy. Nothing is worse then paying a lot to be at a disadvantage.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home