Wednesday, October 06, 2004

I, personally, love blackboards. I understand the concern, but I agree that:

downloading a computer file would never be as interesting as watching a professor write

and

Students are forced to stay with the teacher when they use the blackboard to lecture

I hate white boards. They are very hard to clean, the markers dry out too easily, and you don't get the contrast that you do with chalk and a blackboard. Overheads and slides work, but you can't look back at the previous information as easily as when you have 6 or 8 blackboards at the front of the room.

My current prof. lectures with a tablet PC. It works well, but you can't look back at something very easily. If you missed what he wrote, you have to ask him to scroll up, or just live without it. And believe me, it can be very hard to interupt a prof. when he is in a lecture swing.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jason said...

You don't have to ask me how I feel about blackboards...I'm sure I've told you many times already! All dry-erase markers do is cut down on the dust; I can smell the volatile components of a marker from across a 30 x 30 foot room. The expense difference between chalk and markers could possibly pay for a simple fan design that would keep the chalk dust against the board. Wait...I've said too much. You and I should get together to figure out how to earn our millions! :)

8:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home