Tuesday, January 20, 2004

This article is from this morning's edition of CNN. It details the fact that Dick Gephardt, due to his 4th place finish in Iowa, is going to step out of the democratic primary. The best line was a subjective comment by the author of the piece:

"Gephardt seemed resigned to his fate during the speech -- which at times seemed like part of a memorial service."

I read that, and my first thought was: I guess he has resigned. And my second thought was: Why? He still got 11% of the vote and this is only the first of 50 primaries. So I poked around a bit and found this site. Wholy shit. Bill Clinton only got 2.8% of the vote in 1992. 2.8%! Uncommitted got 11.9%! And John McCain only got 5% in 2000, and he stuck with it for at least a few more primaries. But I guess Gephardt is feeling that since he is getting so little love (compared to the top 3 candidiates) in the midwest (his home state is MO) that he doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell once he gets to NH, esp. with two New Englanders in the race. So long Representative Gephardt. It's too bad, he is such a great speaker.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home